VFMC Stillman Kelley/Thelma Byrum Auditions
(Preliminaries for NFMC Stillman Kelley/Thelma Byrum Auditions)
Junior Performance Awards: Piano & Instrumental
Applicants must apply for this award at the State Level on the NFMC website. Directions: go to the NFMC website (www.nfmc-music.org). From the home page select competitions & awards and then Junior Division from the drop-down menu. From there scroll down to Stillman Kelley/Thelma Byrum Awards and click on application form (JR 13-2 PDF) and requirements form (JR 13-1). Follow the directions carefully and submit all required materials before the deadline. This will include a digital video recording (MP4) of your performance for the competition. The VFMC will award first and second place winners and then send ONE entry on to the NFMC National competition.
be under the age of 19 on March 1 of the competition year.
be a native citizen of the United States of America or have received naturalization papers.
be a member of the National Federation of Music Clubs (NFMC), either as a member of an active federated Junior Club or Junior Associate Group or as an Individual Junior Member. To become an Individual Junior Member visit www.nfmc-music.org/payment and pay the membership fee of $13 for annual dues.
Total Entry fee
The total entry fee of $30 includes NFMC fee ($10) and VFMC fee ($20).
First place - $250
Second place - $175
Deadline for applications
ADDITIONAL Important Information
National Level Rules
1. Entrants may enter one category only.
2. Entrants must be prepared to play a program of 15 (minimum) – 20 (maximum) minute duration on his or her selected solo instrument. Entries over 20 minutes will not be considered.
3. All music submitted must be performed entirely from memory.
4. Do not include award ceremonies from other competitions on the DVD.
5. Each state may send in ONE entry to the National competition.
State Level Requirements
The applicant must upload to the NFMC website (www.nfmc-music.org/applicant-file-upload) the following in time to arrive by February 1.
1. Completed audition application forms (JR13-2).
2. Repertoire list of the music the applicant will perform (do not label with student’s name).
3. Digital video recording (MP4) of the performance (do not label with student’s name.)
Submission Process: Using the NFMC online registration portal (www.nfmc-music.org/applicant-file-upload) submit digital copy of the application form, the repertoire list in PDF format, the digital recording (MP4) of your performance, and the payment of fees. Refer to “How to Register
Payment of Fees: To participate in the contest the total entry fee of $20 is payable online during the registration process at the NFMC online registration portal (www.nfmc-music.org/applicant-file-upload).
If Individual Junior Membership fee of $13 for annual dues is required, it must also be paid at the NFMC website. Visit www.nfmc-music.org/payment to pay fees.
Winners of the National (NFMC) awards are selected from the 1st place winners of each state. The awards are:
Stillman Kelley: first place is $1250, second place is $750, third place is $500, and five regional awards at $250 each
Thelma Byrum: $350
National (NFMC) Chair: Nathalie Steinbach